Located in Parkersburg, Wood County, W.Va.
Woodyard Cemetery is a small family graveyard located on Franwood Place, off of Packard near 36th Street, north Parkersburg, W.Va. It is the final resting place of members of at least four generations of the pioneer Presley and Ann Woodyard family that settled here in their "forest home" in 1816. The oldest known generation buried there is Presley and Ann's son Harrison Woodyard and his wife Rhoda (first generation). Also buried there are Harrison's son Rev. Richard Lee "Uncle Dick" Woodyard and his wife Julia, and two of Harrison's daughters (second generation), six of the eight children born to Richard and Julia (third generation), and one grandchild of Richard and Julia (fourth generation).
Below is a list of burials, compiled from headstone readings, newspaper obituaries, etc. Each entry contains the following information (if available): decedent's name, date of birth, date of death, parents' names, spouse's name, military service, headstone notation, source notation, and obituary information. The "headstone" or "footstone" notation indicates the presence of a gravestone for that individual as of 2011. The source notations (the numbers following each entry) correspond to the sources used. A complete list of the sources appears at the end of this list.
All remaining gravestones have been photographed and can be viewed here. Names that are underlined are linked to a photo. To see the photo, just click on the name.
- Gardway, Mary Ann - d:Jan. 26, 1856, 24y 2m 28d, dau. of Harrison and Rhoda (Lee) Woodyard, second wife of Daniel Gardway headstone 1 2
- Gardway, Mary Ann (Infant) - d:Feb. 3, 1856, 8d, dau. of Daniel and Mary Ann (Wooyard) Gardway headstone 1 2
- Gardway, Nancy L. - d:June 13, 1853, 23y 7m 22d, dau. of Harrison and Rhoda (Lee) Woodyard, first wife of Daniel Gardway headstone 1 2
- S., L. C. - Footstone found at cemetery with these initials.
- Woodyard, Elizabeth - b:circa 1858, d:May 16, 1860, 1y 6m 14d, dau. of Rev. Richard Lee and Julia Ann (Lakin) Woodyard headstone 1 2
- Woodyard, Gordon B. - b:Sept. 1863, d:Feb. 22, 1918, 52y 5m 6d, son of Rev. Richard Lee and Julia Ann (Lakin) Woodyard headstone 1 2
- Woodyard, Grace - b:Nov. 12, 1889, d:Dec. 23, 1889, 1m 11d, dau. of Harrison and Sallie (Cawood) Woodyard headstone 1 2
- Woodyard, Harrison - b:Feb. 17, 1804, d:Oct. 31, 1872, 68y 8m 14d, son of Presley and Ann Woodyard, husband of Rhoda Lee headstone 1 2 3 [obit WSJ Nov. 7, 1872, pg. 3, column 4]
- Woodyard, Harrison - b:Dec. 1856, d:Oct. 18, 1913, 57y, son of Richard Lee and Julia Ann (Lakin) Woodyard, husband of Sallie Cawood headstone 1 2
- Woodyard, Julia Ann - b:Sept. 7, 1830, d:Feb. 25, 1901, dau. of Thomas and Elizabeth (Sperry) Lakin, wife of Rev. Richard Lee Woodyard headstone 1 2
- Woodyard, Rhoda Lee - b:Dec. 28, 1797, d:Oct. 11, 1883, dau. of Richard and Nancy Lee, wife of Harrison Woodyard shares headstone with Harrison 1 2
- Woodyard, Richard Lee - b:Oct. 25, 1827, d:Feb. 8, 1905, 78y, son of Harrison and Rhoda (Lee) Woodyard, husband of Julia Ann Lakin headstone 1 2 3 [obit DSJ Feb. 8, 1905, pg. 8]
- Woodyard, Richard Lee, Jr. - b:June 15, 1861, d:Jan. 28, 1944, 82y 7m 13d, son of Rev. Richard Lee and Julia Ann (Lakin) Woodyard headstone 2 3 [obit PN Jan. 29, 1944, pg. 10]
- Woodyard, Rowena - cb:Jan. 2, 1834, d:Oct. 9, 1864, 30y 9m 7d, dau. of Harrison and Rhoda (Lee) Woodyard headstone 2
- Woodyard, Thomas Lakin - b:Nov. 2, 1868, d:Nov. 7, 1949, 81y 0m 5d, son of Rev. Richard Lee and Julia Ann (Lakin) Woodyard headstone 2
- Woodyard, Wilson Lee - b:circa 1874, d:March 2, 1875, 11m 17d, son of Rev. Richard Lee and Julia Ann (Lakin) Woodyard headstone 1 2
1 Some Early City, Village, and County Burying Grounds, by John A. House, “Woodyard Graveyard”
2 Wood County Cemetery Inscriptions, "Woodyard Cemetery," recorded by Mrs. Shirley H. Bee, Chairman, Old Bible and Cemetery Records Committee (Parkersburg, W.Va.: West Augusta Genealogical Society, 1964)
3 Obituary from local newspaper (most obtained through use of Russell Roy's Wood County, West Virginia Obits index)
DSJ = Daily State Journal
PMN = Parkersburg Morning News
PS = Parkersburg Sentinel
PSWS = Parkersburg Semi-Weekly Sentinel
PWS = Parkersburg Weekly Sentinel
WSJ = Weekly State Journal
WVWT = West Virginia Weekly Times