The Presbyterian faith originated in Parkersburg, W.Va., in 1833. By the early 1870s, the congregation divided creating two groups. One group maintained their existing church, while the other formed a new church called Calvary Presbyterian. It was built in 1873 at the corner of 5th and Avery streets. Both reconciled in the mid 1880s. They decided to build yet another new church to accomodate their newly united congregation. The new building would eventually replace the First and Calvary buildings. The Cavalry Presbyterian Church, after being used for Sunday School for many years, was abandoned in 1895 and demolished within the year.
Image from an original carte-de-visite photograph taken by Henry B. Hull.