Elks Club

The Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, Parkersburg Lodge 198, was organized on April 11, 1891, with 45 members. By the turn of the 20th century, the membership had surpassed 100 and thoughts turned to constructing a lodge building. An impressive three-storied building was designed by local architect William Howe Patton and constructed on 515 Juliana Street in Parkersburg in 1903. In 1925, the membership hit an all-time high of 1,111 and the lodge’s future looked bright. Unfortunately, with the fast-paced lifestyles of modern families, fewer young adults are joining organizations. Membership to local fraternities dropped drastically in the 1980s and 1990s. The Elks could not keep up with the day-to-day expenses incurred with such a large building. The members of the organization sold the building to the neighboring Parkersburg News & Sentinel. The building was demolished on September 14, 2005, and the space converted for parking.

The demolition photos were taken by the webmaster and local history-buff Glen Fetty.

Historic Images